Waffles are really popular breakfast dishes and snacks because they taste amazing and the possibilities of what you can create with waffles are endless.
You can have a breakfast waffle with ham, eggs and cheese or you can have it served with ice cream, chocolate syrup and all kinds of sprinkles.
But waffles aren’t the most convenient of dishes to make at home. One major problem when it comes to waffle making at home is dealing with the mess.
No matter how much experience you have with waffle making, you can never get by without creating a mess that has to be cleaned up.
For this reason, many waffle lovers are forced to get their waffles at cafes, restaurants, and other places.
If you don’t want to have to dine out in order to enjoy delicious waffles, you can search for waffle makers that are easy to clean.
But what exactly makes a waffle maker one that is easy to clean?
3 Things to Consider When Looking for an Easy-To-Clean Waffle Maker
1. Grid Surface Material
The first thing you want to consider when you’re looking for a waffle maker that is easy to clean is the material used for the grid surface.
This is one of the most important aspects of an easy-to-clean waffle maker. Anyone who has made waffles before, especially waffles with a mixture of different addon ingredients, knows that grease, crumbs and other residue really do stick.
They stick to your grid surface and it can be quite a pain to remove some of these sticky stuff.
When it comes to waffle makers and waffle irons, there are three common types of grid surfaces. We have cast iron, non-stick grids, and ceramic surfaces.
Cast iron is one of the oldest materials used for cookware. It has been used for centuries and is still in use today even in waffle irons.
The reason people still use heavy old cast iron with cookware today is because they are free from chemicals such as BPA, PTFE and PFOA. These are chemicals present in other grid surface materials that can be harmful.
If your cast iron waffle iron is seasoned well, it will be very easy to remove residue from the grid surface.
The downside to cast iron surfaces for waffle irons is that it can take a while for it to heat up. You will also need to be a bit more careful when it comes to maintenance.
If you want to keep its non-stick properties, you will have to make sure the surface is completely dry before applying any heat. You also don’t want to be scrubbing the surface rigorously because this can wash out the iron seasoning that makes it non-stick.
The most common material used for waffle maker grid surfaces is the classic non-stick material. This is created by applying polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) to the heating surface to make food slide off easily.
It is inexpensive and it works really well. You’ll find this non-stick material on almost all types of cookware. From skillets to panini presses to waffle makers.
Cleaning non-stick grids is very simple. Most of the time you can get it perfectly clean just by wiping it down with a damp cloth.
When using non-stick waffle makers, never use metal utensils to remove food from the maker. This can scratch and damage the non-stick surface. You also don’t want to be spraying any type of cooking spray as this will leave unwanted strictly residue.
Some people refuse to go near plastic-based coatings like the popular non-stick we just talked about. This is usually because they are afraid of the chemicals in these coatings. Chemicals such as PTFE and PFOA, that are present in plastic-based non-stick, can be harmful if they are brought to very high temperatures (higher than most kitchen appliances will ever bring them).
Ceramic surfaces are free from those chemicals but may have traces of lead and cadmium if you buy from uncertified sellers.
The best way to ensure you’re getting ceramic that is safe, is to buy from a USA company. This is because the FDA requires all manufacturers to only make ceramic cookware that is free from lead and cadmium.
2. Removable Grids
Another thing to consider when you’re looking for a waffle maker that is easy to clean is if the waffle maker comes with removable grids.
Removable grids make cleaning a lot easier. This is because you can simply pop off the grids and wash them in the sink or dishwasher and leave them to dry on your drying rack.
Without removable grids on your waffle maker, you won’t get to thoroughly wash it.
Removable grids also make it easy for you to reach crumbs and food residue that fall into the corners of your waffle maker. These corners are hard to reach, but with a removable grid, you can easily access them.
Anyone who has made waffles before knows that overflowing is very common. This can make things very messy and difficult to clean.
For this reason, some waffle maker manufacturers have designed their machines to have either a moat or a drip-catcher. This neat feature will catch any batter that overflows out of the waffle mold. Some of these waffle maker moats cook up the excess batter so there is no waste and it’s easier to remove.
Others will simply catch them in a little container that you can conveniently drain when you’re finished cooking.
Moats and drip-catchers take up some space so the overall size of your waffle maker is larger. This is just something to keep in mind in case you want to get a really compact and lightweight waffle maker.
Although it makes your waffle maker a bit more bulky, it does save you from a lot of mess and saves you a lot of time when you have to clean up.
How to Quickly and Easily Clean a Waffle Maker
We all know that cleaning up after cooking a meal can be a pain. It is a common practice to postpone cleaning your cookware or heating appliances until after the next time you use it.
This, however, will make it even more difficult to clean. The longer you leave your waffle maker dirty, the tougher it will be to clean up. This is because food residue will stick even harder and the smells will stick to your heating surface as well.
If you want to make cleaning easier, it is best to clean your waffle maker every time you use it.
The first step in cleaning your waffle maker is to let it cool down. Attempting to clean your waffle maker when it is still hot is dangerous for both you and your waffle maker.
Never attempt to apply cold water on a hot waffle maker, this will damage your non-stick coating.
For the most part, all you need to clean a waffle maker is some paper towels. This applies to waffle makers that have non-stick grid surfaces. Simply wipe the grid surface with the paper towel to remove any crumbs and grease.
If there are pieces of food that are hard to remove, apply some cooking oil and let it sit for a few minutes. Then take a new paper towel and wipe it off.
For hard to reach corners, you can take a chopstick and wrap some paper towel around it. Then remove the crumbs and stains on these corners.
If you have removable grids, you can do the same paper towel cleaning technique or you can simply toss the grid plates in your dishwasher or wash them in the sink.
Top 8 Easy to Clean Waffle Makers
Breville BWM604BSS Smart Waffle Maker
- WAFFLE IQ: Intelligent darkness control dials in your cooking time to perfectly suit the style you are cooking....
- BROWNING CONTROL: Crisp up your waffles to your liking from light to dark with 5 different settings.
- NO MESS MOAT: Waffle batter has a tendency to spill out and onto your counter top, but with this thoughtful feature...
- THERMAL PRO EVEN HEAT: Say goodbye to extra crispy edges and raw batter pockets. The Smart Waffle Pro distributes...
- NON STICK SURFACE: Sticky batter will never stick to your cooking plates thanks to premium PFOA free non stick...
The first on our list is the Breville BWM604ZBSS Smart Waffle Maker. This waffle maker looks absolutely stunning with its elegant stainless steel finish.
The interior is made from high-quality non-stick material that makes it very easy to clean. But it isn’t only the non-stick grid surface that makes this waffle maker easy to clean, it also has a moat that goes around the grid.
This moat catches all the excess batter that overflows from the cooking area. This prevents the batter from getting into hard to reach corners and from spilling onto your countertop.
When you’re finished making delicious waffles, simply take a paper towel and wipe down the grid. The excess batter on the moat also cooks up together with your waffles so they’re easy to remove by hand when they cool down.
KotiCidsin Sandwich & Waffle Maker
- ★【3 in 1 Multi-function】 - Three sets of interchangeable plates for waffle, grill and sandwich. Compact...
- ★【Heating performance】 - KotiCidsin sandwich maker cook up to 392 ℉ and producing delicious food! It can...
- ★【Safe and Stable】 - The high precision thermostat keeps the temperature stable. Designed for maximum safety,...
- ★【Easy to clean】 - These plates are detachable, Dishwasher safe.
- ★ 【After-sales service】 -We have full confidence in the quality of Koticidsin sandwich maker. If you receive...
The KotiCidsin Sandwich and Waffle Maker is a compact and lightweight machine that can create excellent waffles quickly and easily.
This waffle maker comes with several removable grid surfaces which makes it both easy to clean and fun to use. With the different grid surfaces you can make sandwiches, you can grill veggies and meat and you can make delicious waffles.
After using the waffle maker, you simply pop out the removable grid and either put it in the dishwasher or wash it by hand in the sink. You can then leave it on a drying rack to dry.
When you need it again, simply snap it back on and you’re ready to go.
This waffle maker has 750 watts of power. That is more than enough power to make waffles quickly.
Cuisinart WAF-F20 Double Belgian Waffle Maker
- Creates two deep-pocket 1-inch Belgian waffles at the same time. Dimensions : 15.50 L x 9.75 W x 9.30 H inches....
- Included components: Measuring Cup, Waffle maker unit
- 1400 watts of power. UC Cubic Feet: 1. 08
- Nonstick coating for quick food release and easy cleanup
The Cuisinart WAF-F20 is a really fun to use waffle maker. You can make waffles just like the pros do it in kiosks and restaurants. Add in your batter, close the lid, flip it over, add batter on the other side and flip it again.
This flipping action will help spread the batter inside the waffle maker. The waffle maker is also designed really well that none of the batter spills out on the sides when you flip it.
Once your batter is in, turn the control knob to your desired shade setting and switch the power on. This waffle maker gives you 6 shading options to choose from. From light and soft waffles to darker and crispier ones.
Because the cooking grids are high above the base of the waffle maker, this makes it easier to clean. There are no hard to reach corners that the batter can spill into.
The grid surface non-stick coating also makes this a very easy to clean waffle maker.
All-Clad Stainless Steel Belgian Waffle Maker
- Features 7 adjustable levels of toasting shade, so your waffle’s as crispy as you like it
- Automatically alerts you when you need to pour batter or when your waffle is done
- Coated with a PFOA-free nonstick material that helps waffles slide right off
- Makes 4 square-shaped waffles at a time
All-Clad is an American brand that makes very high-quality cookware and kitchen appliances. All their products pass through tight quality control so you are sure you’re getting a great product every time you buy from the brand.
Since All-Clad products are manufactured in the USA, you can be sure that their non-stick cookware and appliances are all safe. You can enjoy non-stick goodness without worrying about harmful chemicals.
This waffle maker is made even more easy to clean with its removable drip tray. Excess batter and crumbs fall onto the drip tray, which you can easily remove after cooking.
One great feature that this waffle maker has is its steam release system. This allows the steam to exit the waffle maker while your waffles are cooking and prevents moisture buildup. The results are waffles that are nice and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Presto 03510 Ceramic Flipside Belgian Waffle Maker
- Professional-style rotating design with extra-thick grid bakes a 7-inch diameter Belgian waffle with four...
- Dual function base assures convenient rotation for baking and locks in a space-saving vertical position for storage
- Countdown timer with digital display signals when time is complete; Brushed stainless steel exterior;
- Nonstick interior easily wipes clean. Care and Cleaning: Hand wash ; 120 Volts AC, 1100 Watts
- Flips 180 degrees to evenly spread batter for waffles that are crispy outside and tender inside. Refer the User...
The Presto 03510 Ceramic Flipside Belgian Waffle Maker is the first waffle maker on our list that has a ceramic grid surface. This heating surface is free from chemicals such as BPA, PTFE and PFOA.
Presto is a certified American brand, so you can be sure that their ceramic products do not contain harmful chemicals such as lead or cadmium.
The ceramic non-stick surface on this particular waffle maker is absolutely great. Food simply slides off so you don’t need to worry about extensive cleaning after cooking your waffles.
Operating the Presto 03510 Flipside waffle maker is a lot of fun. It works the same way as the waffle makers you see at restaurants.
You start by opening up the waffle maker and pouring in your batter. Then you close the lid and turn on the power. You can choose between 7 different cooking options. When the waffle maker begins to heat up, you can then flip the waffle maker over so the batter spreads evenly inside.
Secura Automatic 360 Rotating Belgian Waffle Maker
- Create Deep-pocket Belgian waffles with this 360 degree rotating waffle maker
- 360 Degree rotating waffle maker allows for evenly cooked waffles every time
- Nonstick coating on the removable plates for fast and easy cleanup
- "Cool touch" Handles for safe and easy turning and a unique "locking clip" Design ensures even distribution of...
- "Power-on & ready-to-cook" Indicator lights. 2-Year manufacturer's limited , only for use with North American...
With 1,000 watts of power, this rotating waffle maker by Secura can make you delicious waffles fast.
To operate this waffle maker, you open the lid, pour in your waffle batter, close it up and turn the heat on. Before it starts cooking, lift it from the base by grabbing the cool-touch handles. Then turn it over and set it back down. This ensures that your waffles will be evenly cooked.
This waffle maker is easy to clean for three reasons. The first one is because of the high-grade non-stick coating on its grid plates. This allows food to be wiped off from the surface in a breeze.
Another reason why this waffle maker is easy to clean is because of the removable grid plates. You can easily pop off the grid plates when they are dirty and give them a good washing. You can even throw them in your dishwasher and let it take care of the mess.
The third reason why this waffle maker is easy to clean is because you can detach the entire cooking machine from its base. This allows you to access hard to reach corners that sometimes hold crumbs and batter drippings.
DASH Express Belgian Waffle Maker
- MORE THAN WAFFLES: Make paninis, hash browns, and even biscuit pizzas! Any wet batter will “waffle” your treats...
- COMPACT + PORTABLE: 8” Express Waffle Maker takes up minimal counter space and is a MUST-HAVE for that first...
- QUICK + EASY: Simply plug it in and go; it heats up in mere minutes The dual PFOA-free non-stick surfaces provide...
- PERFECT GIFT: The perfect wedding or new home gift Its small size takes up little counter space, and its sleek...
- INCLUDES: Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty, the Express 8” Dash Waffle maker includes anti-slip feet,...
What makes the DASH Belgian Waffle Maker easy to clean are the large pockets on the sides of the heating surface. These pockets catch any excess batter that will otherwise get into hard to reach corners or spill on your countertop.
The excess batter that seeps into these pockets are cooked together with your waffles so you will have zero waste. You can easily scrape the excess off from the drip pockets once you’re finished cooking.
Aside from these pockets that make life much easier, the grid surface is coated with high-quality non-stick. So when you’re finished making waffles, all you have to do is take a paper towel and wipe down the interior and you’re ready to either store the waffle maker or use it for the next batch of delicious waffles.
OSTBA Waffle Iron 3-in-1
- 3-in-1 Sandwich Maker: With 3 kinds of plates, the sandwich maker is perfect for making sandwich, waffle, barbecue,...
- 750W Powerful Waffle Maker: Powered by 120V and 750W, the waffle maker reaches the cooking temperature...
- 3 Detachable Cooking Plates: Includes 3 kinds of plates, sandwich plates, waffle plates, grill plates, 6 plates...
- Portable Panini Press: It includes a cool touch handle for safe and comfortable use. It also sits on anti-skid feet...
- 2-Year Quality Warranty: We offer 2-year quality warranty, welcome to contact us to get timely response if it has...
The OSTBA waffle iron isn’t only a waffle maker. This small kitchen appliance can also make sandwiches, paninis, roast beef, grilled veggies, and many more.
This is thanks to its removable grid plates. In the box, you’re getting three different grid plates that you can use to make a wide variety of dishes.
The fact that the grid plates are removable make this waffle maker very easy to clean. You can simply detach the grid plates from the waffle maker itself and give them a good washing.
The coating is also non-stick like most of the other products on this list. This makes food easily slide off from your grid surface when you’re cleaning it up.
As we all know, cleaning up after making waffles is a dreadful task. This is why it is very important to get a waffle maker that is easy to clean.
Just to recap, the things you need to look for when you want an easy to clean waffle maker are 1) a non-stick cooking surface either made from ceramic, plastic-based non-stick coating or well seasoned cast iron, 2) removable grid plates, and 3) a detachable drip tray or an overflow moat.
We hope this article has equipped you with enough knowledge to go out there and pick the perfect waffle maker for you. Happy waffle making!