Can you make waffles with pancake mix or Bisquick?
Yes – but first, let’s talk.
We all want to have the perfect breakfast, and what’s more perfect than a lovely, delicious, and crispy waffle with cream and strawberries?
Most people will argue that pancakes with maple syrup are king when it comes to a perfect breakfast, but others may disagree.
We’ll settle that debate some other time. In this article, we will talk about waffles, specifically how to make waffles with pancake mix or Bisquick..
Waffles vs Pancakes — Is There A Difference?
Many folks think that waffles recipes and pancake recipes are different. But, that’s not fully true. Waffle and pancake batters are very similar. You often won’t find anyone telling you that you can make good waffles with pancake batter and vice versa. But, you can!
What actually makes a waffle recipe and a pancake recipe different?
We did a little research and we found that waffle recipes have more oil in them. This is because it prevents waffles from getting stuck in the waffle irons. But, nowadays, you have non-stick waffle irons, so that assumption is pretty much void. It’s especially void if you’re adept at using fat in your recipe!
Does that mean you can use a waffle batter and make pancakes by cutting back on the oil? Technically, that’s possible.
Traditionally, waffle batter contains egg yolks and the egg whites are whisked separately and are mixed with the waffle batter just before cooking. This results in the waffles having an airy or fluffier texture than pancakes.
Many people don’t make waffles using this technique anymore. They’ll use baking soda, but if you want your waffles to be light and crispy, it’s worth the effort.
And if you’re asking whether you can make waffles using pancake batter—go ahead. But, just keep in mind, making your Belgian waffles this way will make them pretty bready.
Is there one appliance that can do both?
Yes, we do write about the Top 3 Pancake and Waffle Combo appliances.
This is one of the appliances we review in that article. And honestly, the more we use it, the more we like it!
Cuisinart WAF-300 Belgian Waffle Maker with Pancake Plates
How To Make Waffles Using Bisquick
If you’re someone who thinks making waffles is a very time-consuming, laborious affair that includes beating egg white and making the batter, then you’re going to love this!
Introducing Bisquick—one of the cheapest pre-mixed pancake/waffle mix you can find in the supermarkets.
Making tasty waffles is so easy with this pre-mixed recipe that we won’t be surprised if you got addicted to it! You can also use Bisquick in your waffle iron to make waffles. The flavor is incredible with just adding butter. Tons of maple syrup isn’t bad either!
You can follow our recipes or you can take a quick look at the video below and see a recipe (not ours) in action!
Recipe #1 – Here are the ingredients to make waffles with Bisquick:
- Bisquick Waffle Mix – 2 cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
- One Egg
- Preheat your waffle iron. Don’t bother if it is an electric or an old-fashioned stovetop.
- Whisk all the ingredients mentioned above in a bowl.
- Ladle the batter evenly over the oiled/buttered waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles or 5 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the waffles carefully.
- Serve immediately!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another Bisquick recipe to make waffles.
Ingredients you need:
- Bisquick Waffle Mix – 2 cups
- Water –1 1⁄2 cups
- Powdered milk (or milk) – 1⁄3 cup
- Eggs (separated) – 2
- Mix the water, milk powder (or one and a half cups of milk), and an egg yolk using a beater.
- Keep mixing the contents until you don’t see any lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl separately until its stiff.
- Add the stiff egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter onto a preheated waffle iron and cook, until they’re golden brown and crisp.
- If your waffles have got cold, you can always heat them in the microwave for 10-30 seconds and make them warm again
How to make waffles with pancake mix
Most people don’t like to mess around with baked food or making them like waffles. For them, making crispy, tasty waffles is possible by using pancake mixes. As we said earlier, you can prepare great waffles with pancake mixes
You can follow our instructions below, or you can take a look at this short video of a recipe (not ours).
There is a way you can turn your pancake mix into waffle mix. Below is a simple method where you can transform your pancake mix into waffle mix to bake some delicious and heart-filling waffles.
To make waffles with your pancake mix, you need only two ingredients; pancake mix and cooking oil.
Just add the ⅛ cup of cooking oil to one batch of your favorite pancake mix. For making two batches, just double the amount of oil, in this case, the ⅛ cup of oil.
How do you Make Waffles Using Pancake Mix?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix -1 ½ cups
- Cinnamon – ½ Tsp
- Melted butter – 2 Tsps
- Whole milk – ¾ cup ( room temperature)
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 Tsp
- Eggs (whites separated) – 2
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the milk, butter, vanilla, and egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix all the contents well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the eggs whites to the batter and mix gently.
- Pour the batter into the waffle iron and bake until golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup, butter, sliced fruit and fresh whipped cream, or even better add them all!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another recipe on how to make a waffles mix from a pancake mix.
Ingredients you need to make the pancake mix:
- All-purpose flour – 6 1/3 cups
- Dry milk powder – 1 1/3 cups
- Baking powder – 2 Tsps
- Baking soda – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 2 Tsps
- Granulated sugar – 1/3 cups
- Measure all the ingredients in a bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Stir until all the components are well mixed.
- Store the mix in an airtight container before using or for future use.
Making waffles with your pancake mix:
Ingredients you need:
- Pancake mix – 2 cups
- Eggs – 2
- Canola oil -1 Tsp
- Cold water – 1 ¼ cups
- Whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl together until the batter looks smooth.
- Pour the batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron
- Cook until it is golden.
It’s pretty simple, huh? It’s easy to turn waffle mix into pancakes or pancake mix into waffles. It’s also pretty simple to by pre-made mix or make your own.
If you’re on a specific type diet or have dietary food restrictions, you can still enjoy foods you like! Whether you’re Keto, Vegan, Paleo, or Gluten free. With a little creativity and the proper waffle maker, you can enjoy the foods you love.