Can you use pancake mix for waffles? Or can you make waffles with Bisquick mix?
In this article, we will talk about waffles, specifically how to use pancake mix to make waffles. We’ll also talk about how to make waffles using Bisquick Original Mix.
Before you get started – buy the best waffle maker
Again, making a good breakfast that your family will find delicious doesn’t have to be hard. Especially once you get used to using your waffle iron and if you get used to creating the recipes below.
Waffles vs Pancakes — What’s the difference?
Many folks think that waffles recipes and pancake recipes are different. But, that’s not totally true. Waffle mix and pancake mix are very similar. You often won’t find anyone telling you that you can take waffle mix and turn it into pancake mix and vice versa. But, you can!
What actually makes a waffle recipe and a pancake mix recipe different?
We did a little research and we found that homemade waffle mix has more oil in it than pancake mix does. This is because it prevents waffles from getting stuck in the waffle irons. But, nowadays, you probably have a non-stick waffle iron, so that assumption is pretty much void. It’s especially void if you’re using plenty of fat in your recipe!
Does that mean you can use a pre-made waffle mix and make pancakes by cutting back on the oil? Technically, that’s possible.
Traditionally, homemade waffle mix contains egg yolks, the egg whites are whisked separately and are mixed just before cooking. This results in the waffles having an airy or fluffier texture than pancakes.
Many people don’t make waffles with this technique anymore. They’ll use baking soda, but if you want your waffles to be light and crispy, it’s worth the effort.
So is pancake mix the same as waffle mix?
The main difference between a genuine waffle mix and a pancake mix is the sugar and fat content in the waffle mix is higher. Higher fat content in the waffle mix allows it to create a golden crust in the waffle maker.
And if you’re asking whether you can make waffles with pancake mix—go ahead. But, just keep in mind, making your Belgian waffles this way will make them pretty bready.
Is there one appliance that can do both?
Yes, we do write about the Top 3 Pancake and Waffle Iron Combo.
This is one of the appliances we review in that article. And honestly, the more we use this waffle iron, the more we like it!
- SUPERIOR FUNCTION: The square classic waffle and pancake maker is professional quality for home use. Bakes 1-large...
- EASY TO USE: 6-setting adjustable browning control with audible alert you can choose your waffle’s specific cook...
- MUST-HAVE FEATURES: Red and green “ready to bake/ready to eat” indicator lights. You’ve also got 1-inch deep...
- INCLUDED: Instruction manual and recipe book with several recipe’s to get you started
- LIMITED 3-YEAR WARRANTY: Refer to user manual for troubleshooting steps and questions surrounding warranty policies...
Read this in-depth review of the Cuisinart WAF-300
Bisquick Waffle Recipe – How To Make Waffles Using Bisquick Mix
If you’re someone who thinks making waffles is a very time-consuming, laborious affair that includes beating egg white and making the batter, then you’re going to really enjoy this!
Introducing Bisquick waffles—the cheapest pre made pancake mix/waffle mix you can find in the supermarkets.
Making tasty Belgian waffles is so easy with this Bisquick Waffles recipe that we won’t be surprised if you got addicted to it! You can also use Bisquick in your hot waffle iron to make waffles. The flavor is incredible with just adding butter. Tons of maple syrup on the center of your hot waffle isn’t bad either!
You can follow our Bisquick Waffles recipe or you can take a quick look at the video below and see a Bisquick original recipe (not ours) in action!
Recipe #1 – Here’s what you need to Bisquick Waffles:
- Bisquick Waffle Mix– 2 cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- 1 Egg
- Preheat your waffle iron. Whether it’s an electric or an old-fashioned stovetop, make sure you have a hot waffle iron!
- Mix 1 egg with the milk and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Whisk everything together in a bowl.
- Ladle the batter evenly over the oiled/buttered waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles for 3 minutes or until steaming.
- Remove the waffles carefully.
- Pour syrup on the center of hot waffle and eat!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another Bisquick Waffle Recipe to make waffles.
Ingredients you need:
- Original Bisquick Mix – 2 cups
- Water –1 1⁄2 cups
- Powdered milk (or milk) – 1⁄3 cup
- Eggs (separated) – 2
- Combine the water, milk powder (or 1.5 cups of milk), and an egg yolk using a beater.
- Keep mixing the contents until you don’t see any lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl separately until its stiff.
- Add the stiff egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter onto hot waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes or until steaming.
- Carefully remove waffle with favorite tongs.
- If your Bisquick waffles got cold, you can always heat them in the microwave for 10-30 seconds and make them warm again, or put them in the toaster.
How to make waffles with pancake mix
Most people don’t want to experiment with baked food or making things like waffles. For them, making crispy, tasty waffles is possible only by using homemade waffle mix and your waffle iron. However, as we said earlier, you can prepare great Belgian waffles with regular pancake mixes.
Essentially, you have to take pancake batter and turn it into waffle batter. Once you have that waffle batter, it’s just a matter of pouring the waffle batter onto the heating element (the waffle iron!).
You can follow our instructions below, or you can take a look at this short video of a recipe (not ours).
There is a way you can use pancake mix for waffles.
Using pancake mix for waffles really just involves adding a little bit more fat to the recipe.
Below is a simple method where you can transform your pancake batter into a waffle one to bake some delicious, golden brown waffles.
In order to use your pancake mix to make waffles, you need only two things; pancake mix and cooking oil.
Just add the ⅛ cup of oil to a batch of your favorite already made pancake mix. For making two batches, just double the amount of oil, in this case, the ⅛ cup of oil.
The total time to cook the waffle batter is about the same no matter what kind of mix you use.
Making waffles with Pancake Mix
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bob’s Red Mill GF Pancake Mix -1 ½ cups
- Cinnamon – ½ teaspoons
- Melted butter – 2 tablespoons (the fat you need)!
- Whole milk – ¾ cup (room temperature)
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 teaspoons
- Eggs (whites separated) – 2
- Combine all the dry elements in a bowl.
- Combine the milk, the 2 tablespoons of melted butter, vanilla, and egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry elements and stir all the contents well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the eggs whites to the batter and blend gently.
- Pour the batter onto the center of your heated waffle iron.
- Carefully remove waffle with waffle tongs.
- Serve with maple syrup, butter, sliced fruit and fresh whipped cream, or even better add them all!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another recipe on how to make a waffle mix from a pancake mix.
Everything you need to make the pancake mix:
- All-purpose flour – 6 1/3 cups
- Dry milk powder – 1 1/3 cups
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Granulated sugar – 1/3 cups
- Place all the contents in a bowl or a bowl of a standing mixer.
- Stir until all the components are well mixed.
- Store it in an airtight container before using or for future use.
Recipe number 3:
Ingredients you need:
- Pancake mix – 2 cups
- Eggs – 2
- Canola Oil or other Vegetable Oil -1 Tsp (the fat you need!)
- Cold water – 1 ¼ cups
- Mix 1 teaspoon of oil with all of the wet ingredients.
- Whisk the pancake mix and all the other contents in a mixing bowl together using a wire whisk until it looks smooth.
- Pour the batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron (you can use vegetable oil for this, also).
- Bake until it is golden.
- Carefully remove waffle with favorite waffle iron tongs.
- Pour syrup at the center of hot waffle!
Final Words on How to make waffles with pancake mix or Bisquick mix
It’s pretty simple, huh? It’s easy to try and turn original Bisquick mix into a pancake or pancake mix into waffles. It’s also pretty simple to buy an already made mix or make your own.
If you’re on a specific type of diet or have dietary restrictions, you can still enjoy the foods you like! Whether you want a pancake (more more than one) or a waffle, and whether you’re Keto (high fat), Vegan, Paleo, GF, or just looking to try and up the protein in your diet (I had to include the protein in there for those who are looking to build muscle while eating waffles!).
You can have breakfast the way you like without taking a lot of time to do it.
With a little creativity and the proper waffle maker, you can enjoy the foods you crave. I hope you have time to try and recreate these recipes yourself, if you do use any of them, let me know in the comments.