Can you make waffles with pancake mix or Original Bisquick Mix?
Yes – but first, let’s talk.
We all want to have the perfect breakfast, and what’s more perfect than a lovely, delicious, and crispy waffle with cream and strawberries?
Most people will argue that pancakes with maple syrup are king when it comes to a perfect breakfast, but others may disagree.
We’ll settle that debate some other time. In this article, we will talk about waffles, specifically how to make waffles with pancake prep or Bisquick Original Mix.
Waffles vs Pancakes — Is There A Difference?
Many folks think that waffles recipes and pancake recipes are different. But, that’s not fully true. Waffle and pancake batters are very similar. You often won’t find anyone telling you that you can make good waffles with pancake batter and vice versa. But, you can!
What actually makes a waffle recipe and a pancake recipe different?
We did a little research and we found that waffle recipes have more oil in them. This is because it prevents waffles from getting stuck in the waffle irons. But, nowadays, you have non-stick waffle irons, so that assumption is pretty much void. It’s especially void if you’re adept at using fat in your recipe!
Does that mean you can use a waffle batter and make pancakes by cutting back on the oil? Technically, that’s possible.
Traditionally, waffle batter contains egg yolks and the egg whites are whisked separately and are mixed just before cooking. This results in the waffles having an airy or fluffier texture than pancakes.
Many people don’t make waffles using this technique anymore. They’ll use baking soda, but if you want your waffles to be light and crispy, it’s worth the effort.
And if you’re asking whether you can make waffles using pancake batter—go ahead. But, just keep in mind, making your Belgian waffles this way will make them pretty bready.
Is there one appliance that can do both?
Yes, we do write about the Top 3 Pancake and Waffle Combo appliances.
This is one of the appliances we review in that article. And honestly, the more we use it, the more we like it!
Cuisinart WAF-300 Belgian Waffle Maker with Pancake Plates
How To Make Waffles Using Bisquick
If you’re someone who thinks making waffles is a very time-consuming, laborious affair that includes beating egg white and making the batter, then you’re going to really enjoy this!
Introducing Bisquick waffles—one of the cheapest pre-mixed pancake/waffle mix you can find in the supermarkets.
Making tasty Belgian waffles is so easy with this Bisquick Waffles recipe that we won’t be surprised if you got addicted to it! You can also use Bisquick in your hot waffle iron to make waffles. The flavor is incredible with just adding butter. Tons of maple syrup on the center of your hot waffle isn’t bad either!
You can follow our Bisquick Waffles recipe or you can take a quick look at the video below and see a Bisquick original recipe (not ours) in action!
Recipe #1 – Here’s what you need to Bisquick Waffles:
- Bisquick Waffle Preparation – 2 cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Vegetable oil – 2 Tbsp
- One Egg
- Preheat your waffle iron. Whether it’s an electric or an old-fashioned stovetop, make sure you have a hot waffle iron!
- Whisk everything mentioned above in a bowl.
- Ladle the batter evenly over the oiled/buttered waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles for 3 minutes or until steaming.
- Remove the waffles carefully.
- Pour syrup on the center of hot waffle and eat!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another Bisquick Waffle Recipe to make waffles.
Ingredients you need:
- Original Bisquick Mix – 2 cups
- Water –1 1⁄2 cups
- Powdered milk (or milk) – 1⁄3 cup
- Eggs (separated) – 2
- Combine the water, milk powder (or one and a half cups of milk), and an egg yolk using a beater.
- Keep mixing the contents until you don’t see any lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl separately until its stiff.
- Add the stiff egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter onto a hot waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes or until steaming.
- Carefully remove waffle with favorite tongs.
- If your Bisquick waffles got cold, you can always heat them in the microwave for 10-30 seconds and make them warm again, or put them in the toaster.
How to make waffles with pancake mix
Most people don’t like to mess around with baked food or making them like waffles. For them, making crispy, tasty waffles is possible by using pancake mixes. As we said earlier, you can prepare great Belgian waffles with pancake mixes.
You can follow our instructions below, or you can take a look at this short video of a recipe (not ours).
There is a way you can turn your pancake prep into waffle one. Below is a simple method where you can transform your pancake prep into waffle one to bake some delicious and heart-filling waffles.
To make waffles with your pancake mix, you need only two things; pancake mix and cooking oil.
Just add the ⅛ cup of oil to one batch of your favorite pancake premade prep. For making two batches, just double the amount of oil, in this case, the ⅛ cup of oil.
How do you Make Waffles Using Pancake Mix?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake -1 ½ cups
- Cinnamon – ½ Tsp
- Melted butter – 2 Tsps
- Whole milk – ¾ cup (room temperature)
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 Tsp
- Eggs (whites separated) – 2
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine the milk, butter, vanilla, and egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir all the contents well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add the eggs whites to the batter and blend gently.
- Pour the batter onto the center of hot waffle iron.
- Carefully remove waffle with waffle tongs.
- Serve with maple syrup, butter, sliced fruit and fresh whipped cream, or even better add them all!
Recipe #2 – Here’s another recipe on how to make a waffles mix from a pancake mix.
Everything you need to make the pancake mix:
- All-purpose flour – 6 1/3 cups
- Dry milk powder – 1 1/3 cups
- Baking powder – 2 Tsps
- Baking soda – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 2 Tsps
- Granulated sugar – 1/3 cups
- Measure all the ingredients in a bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Stir until all the components are well mixed.
- Store it in an airtight container before using or for future use.
Making waffles with your pancake mix:
Ingredients you need:
- Pancake mix – 2 cups
- Eggs – 2
- Canola oil -1 Tsp
- Cold water – 1 ¼ cups
- Whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl together until it looks smooth.
- Pour the batter onto a preheated, oiled waffle iron.
- Bake until it is golden.
- Carefully remove waffle with favorite waffle iron tongs.
- Pour syrup at the center of hot waffle!
It’s pretty simple, huh? It’s easy to turn original Bisquick mix into pancakes or pancake mix into waffles. It’s also pretty simple to by pre-made mix or make your own.
If you’re on a specific type diet or have dietary restrictions, you can still enjoy foods you like! Whether you’re Keto, Vegan, Paleo, or Gluten free. With a little creativity and the proper waffle maker, you can enjoy the foods you crave.