This is a review article for the Nordic Ware 01890 Egg Waffle Pan by Nordic Ware.
What’s Nordic Ware?
Nordic ware is an American company founded in 1946 by Dotty and Dave. With only $500 in their pockets and a few good ideas, a humble kitchenware company was born out of the basement of their home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Nordic Ware began with only a handful of items, which were all Scandinavian ethnic cookware. Since then, Nordic Ware has greatly expanded but they still produce most of their products in Minneapolis. Best of all, they’re still family-owned and operated.
Nordic Ware Bubble Waffle Maker and Egg Waffle Pan
- Cast Aluminum with phenolic handles
- Made in the USA
- Makes unique Chinese egg waffles
- Influenced by countries around the globe
- Made in the USA with Imported handle
What’s an Egg Waffle Pan and Egg Waffle Maker?
Unlike traditional American waffles, this is an egg waffle maker that makes “Hong Kong” or “Egg” style waffles.
They’re called egg waffles, bubble waffles, bubble shaped waffles, eggettes, egg puffs, or their original name, gai daan jai, these waffles are one of the most iconic and beloved Hong Kong street snacks and are sure to become one of your favorites. And now, these Hong Kong street snacks are now available to you to enjoy at home with an egg waffle maker.
These bubble waffles are often sold rolled into a cone and filled with fruit, chocolate, or ice cream. They’re often cooked by street vendors in heavy cast iron pans and they are made from a sweet, eggy batter.
- Product Dimensions: 15.1 x 1.4 x 10.4 inches
- Product Weight: 3.5 pounds
- Customer Reviews: 4.3 out of 5 stars on over 600 reviews on Amazon
Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan Features:
This Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan pan is PFOA free and is made with no Teflon. Again, this Egg Waffle Pan is Teflon free but still features a nonstick surface that works surprisingly well.
Have a glass stove top? No worries, this can easily be used on glass. Have a gas stove? Also not a problem, this waffle pan can be used over an open flame, not matter whether it’s a gas stove or a camp fire. However, the plastic on the handles means that it’s not suitable for the oven!
- Easy to use – It is easy to use. Just heat both sides on separate burners, then pour in a little batter and clap them shut. Five minutes and one turn later, and you have a fairly perfect egg waffle.
- Non-stick coating – Nonstick coating allows for easy release and easy clean-up afterward.
- Cast aluminum – Cast aluminum ensures even cooking and super quick heat up.
- Dishwasher safe – Simply place this waffle pan in the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
The waffle always released easily and smoothly, and it always looked just how it should. I was dubious about how this would work, but it worked just as advertised.
- Difficult to control the heat – The one challenge that comes when managing the heat. It takes a few times to learn how hot and how long to cook it. Just know that you’ll burn your waffles the first few times.
- This Egg Waffle Maker is not electric – Keep in mind that this is a very basic iron appliance. It is not an electric bubble waffle maker. It’s not that big of a deal, you just have to remember to keep an eye on it since there’s no indicator light.
Comparing Egg Waffle Makers
There are three other notable egg waffle makers on Amazon.
The first is the Bubble Waffle Maker from CucinaPro. This is an electric Hong Kong style egg waffle maker that bakes egg waffles in just under 5 minutes. It has over 160 reviews on Amazon along with an unimpressive rating of 3.6 out of 5 stars. For most people, it seems like it either lasts a long time or dies right away. Luckily, Amazon has incredible customer service and you can depend on them to support you as a customer.
The second is the Hong Kong Egg Waffle Maker by Starblue. This is a typical Hong Kong Egg Waffle maker with a nonstick coating plate, flip features, and overheat protection.
It has 4 out of 5 stars out of over 30 customer reviews on Amazon. The only problem is that it’s only 30 something reviews, which isn’t many on Amazon.
The third product is the Egg Puffle Waffle Maker from ALD Kitchen. This is a high-quality product that is restaurant and professional grade. This is a heavy-duty product coming in at 13.5 pounds! It’s definitely a kitchen counter hog at 19 x 12 x 13 inches and has the professional price to match.
However, egg waffle iron will make bubble waffles to your heart’s delight.
Wrapping up with the Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan
When reading the reviews on Amazon, keep in mind that these reviews are for all of their Waffle Pans, not just the Egg Waffle Pan. Still, Nordic Ware has a stellar reputation and this egg waffle pan represents the hard work and excellence that they instill in all their products.
This product not only makes delicious egg waffles but will easily last a lifetime.
Still not convinced? Check out this brief, 2 minute video on the Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Iron including a Nordic Ware Egg Waffle Pan Recipe.