Best Thin Waffle maker (non-Belgian) Buyer’s Guide
Waffles are one of my favorites foods to make for breakfast on a weekend morning. There’s an endless number of ways in which you can prepare and eat them.
Personally, I like them cooked with blueberries, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips. And surprising or not, I don’t eat them with syrup (usually anyway).
No matter how you take them, waffles can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or brunch!
And if you’re anything like me, you want to have the best waffle maker you can afford in order to make delicious waffles fast, and easy.
In this article, we’re going to review the best thin waffle makers, tell you what they are and what they aren’t, and give you some tips for choosing the right one for you.
First, let’s show you our top picks!
What is the difference between Belgian waffles and regular waffles?
Waffles have a long history around the world. They’ve been around in one way or another for hundreds of years now, as early as the 1600s.
In the early 1900s, American companies began selling the first waffle making appliances. This allowed everyday people outside of Europe to have access to delicious waffles.
Originally, waffles were very thin, crispy cookies that were a snack around the streets of Belgium. It was something to be eaten with your hands, not with a fork and knife.
Over time, waffles kind of morphed into what we have now. Sweeter, chewy, crispy, and covered in syrup.
Standard, Classic, Regular, and American Waffles
These words are all pretty much used interchangeably and they all refer to thin waffles. Similar to the kind you would see at a Waffle House. This is probably the most common kind of waffle and what you think of when you think of waffles.
These types of waffles are perfect for “waffle sandwiches” and other creative ideas that call for thin waffles.
One important thing to note is that this is only talking about thickness, and really has nothing to do with the shape of the waffle. And by shape I mean whether it’s round, square, or other.
Belgian waffles are the same as regular ones, except that they’re really thick. They have deep waffle grids that make them perfect for holding toppings and syrup.
Again, it’s not really about the shape, it’s about the thickness. As far as the batter is concerned, it’s pretty much the same.
A Belgian waffle maker won’t necessarily cost you more, though. The difference is just purely the thickness of the waffle grids. Basically, how much air is allowed inside.
Cookie Waffles, Stroopwafels, and Pizzelles
Cookie waffles, stroopwafels, and pizzelles are also considered thin waffles, but they’re extremely thin, like cookie thin.
If you’ve ever traveled through Europe, no doubt that you’ve seen these waffle cookies for sale. Maybe just the cookie or with Nutella or Caramel in the middle.
Definitely not the kind that you’d pour syrup on, but still very delicious. They’re eaten with your hands as a quick snack.
These crispy waffles can also be molded to make ice cream bowls, ice cream cones, ice cream sandwiches, and pretty much any other cookie treat you can think of.
They’re also not made with a traditional waffle iron. A regular waffle iron is just too thick for these cookie type of waffles. They’re made with a special pizzelle maker, also known as a cookie iron tin.
Here are a few of the best thin waffle makers that are on the market right now. Enjoy!
Best thin waffle makers on the market
Cuisinart WMR-CA Round Classic Waffle Maker
- Dual indicator lights; 5-setting browning control
- Round nonstick cook plate with four quarters
- Stands on end for compact storage. BPA free
- 3-Year warranty
- Voltage-120V Features: Bakes one large traditional-style waffle|Five-setting browning control|Regulating...
The Cuisinart WMR-CA Waffle Maker is a classic kitchen appliance.
It’s budget-friendly, durable, and easy to use.
This waffle maker features a brushed stainless steel casing that’s rust-resistant and has 5 browning control settings. It has indicator lights, a rubber base for stability, and a long power cord for ease of use.
It also comes available in silver or red!
- Responsive browning settings
- Bakes waffles very fast
- Two indicator lights, red and green, that let you know when to start and stop baking
- Weights under 4 pounds
- Rubber feet to keep it from slipping
- Nonstick coating on waffle grids to prevent sticking
- Security latch to keep the lid closed
- 11 x 8.5 x 4 inches – making it perfect for small kitchen countertops
- Really low price
- Makes only one waffle at a time
- Settings aren’t very precise
Overall, the Cuisinart WMR-CA Waffle Maker is a high quality Classic (non Belgian) waffle maker. And considering its price, you really can’t beat it.
Read an in depth review of the Cuisinart Classic Waffle Maker.
Chef’s Choice 840 WafflePro Express Hearts Waffle Maker
- WAFFLEPRO - Nonstick waffle maker bakes 5 heart-shaped waffles at a time
- TASTE/TEXTURE – Unique quad baking system lets you customize the ideal flavor, texture, and color
- FAST – Instant temperature recovery and waffle ready beeper and light
- OPTIONS - Choose deep-bake mode or crisp exterior/moist interior setting and decide color from golden to brown
- ADVANCED - Floating top baking plate insures a uniform waffle thickness by evenly distributing the batter
The Chef’s Choice 840 WafflePro Express Waffle Maker is one of the top thin waffle makers on the market. And what’s unique about it is that it produces thin, heart shaped waffles.
These waffles are about 6.25 inches in diameter.
All waffle makers have pros and cons to them. But if you’re looking for a heart shaped waffle iron, this is the best it can get.
Not only is this waffle maker high quality, but it’s also affordable, lightweight, and pretty powerful.
- Nonstick coating for easy waffle removal
- Quad baking system
- Cleaning is simple and takes almost no time
- Ability to bake custom waffles
- Two modes – deep or crispy exterior and moist interior
- Floating top plate that won’t allow batter to spill out
- Convenient cord storage
- Includes waffle recipe book
- 1 year limited warranty
- Measures 12 x 12.8 x 5 inches
- Waffles come out very thin
- Waffle plate could have a better and stronger coating
- Plastic, short handles
- Waffles are small in diameter and depth
Read an in depth review of the WafflePro Express Heart Waffle Maker.
All Clad 99012GT Stainless Steel Classic Round Waffle Maker
- Polished Stainless steel and die cast finish
- Shade/Browning selection dial with 6 different settings
- Ready to cook and ready to eat LED indicator lights
- Lock-Lid for easy up-right storage
- Audible Alert to let you know when your waffle is done
All-Clad is one of the top kitchen appliance manufacturers today and what they’ve done with their waffle makers continues that tradition.
This waffle iron cooks round-shaped, classic waffles measuring around 6.5 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch in thickness.
It features 7 browning levels and comes with modern heating technology that ensures baking and browning remains consistent throughout baking.
The All-Clad Waffle Maker also has a special steam release system that counters condensation from accumulating inside the waffle maker. As a result, you’re guaranteed waffles that have a crispy, golden texture on the outside and are light, soft, and chewy on the inside.
It also has an audible indicator and an indicator light that will alert you to when the waffle maker is ready to bake and then when your waffle is ready to eat.
It’s nonstick waffle plates cooking surface also makes it super easy to remove your waffles when they’re done. And the polished stainless steel casing looks really nice and is durable.
Finally, this round thin waffle maker measures 10 x 13. x 7 inches and weighs seven pounds. It’s a little on the heavier side but that also ensures that it won’t slide off of your kitchen countertop.
- Good looking design
- Seven different browning settings
- Indicator light
- Audible signal
- Cord storage in base
- Sturdy build
- Stainless steel housing
- Easy to operate
- Easy to clean
- Nonstick coated cooking plates
- Steam release system
- Overflow tray
- Difficult to store
- Many settings can complicate use for customers
Read an in depth review of the All-Clad Classic Round Waffle Maker.
Foreman Evolve Grill With Ceramic Grilling Plates and Waffle Plates
- Evolve 4-in-1 Versatility- Grill, Panini Press, Bake Dish, Muffin Pan. The Evolve is designed for maximum cooking...
- Adjustable Cooking Angle – Use the slope or set it flat. You can drain excess fat from meat using the classic...
- Adjustable Hinge- The 1-inch adjustable hinge accommodates everything from thick cuts of meat to thin-cut...
- Digital Control Panel- Delicious grilling starts with precise temperatures. The digital control panel displays the...
- 5 Servings- Make meals the whole family will love! With 75 square inches of cooking surface, you can grill, bake,...
If you’re looking for an appliance that can pretty much do it all, then look no further.
The George Foreman Evolve Grill and Waffle Maker is your go to appliance for all of your food needs. It’s a multi-use appliance that will make waffles (not Belgian waffles), it also features ceramic coated grilling plates.
That means that you can make waffles and then turn around and grill burgers right after.
The Evolve grill has a digital control panel, advanced grill plates, digital time and temperature control that goes up to 500 degrees, and has removable plates that are dishwasher safe.
Basically, this makes it a waffle maker, a burger maker, a sandwich maker, a kebab maker, a you name it maker.
It also has additional plates available for purchase.
- Weighted lid attached to a unique floating hinge
- Ready indicator lights
- Three different color models to choose from
- Drip tray catches excess batter and oil
- Easy to clean removable plates
- 3 year limited warranty
- Strong customer reviews
- Pretty heavy at 15.5 pounds!
- Grill handle is too hot to grab without an oven mitt
Read an in depth review of the Foreman Evolve Grill.
Breville BWM520XL No-Mess Thin Waffle Maker
- Wide wrap-around moat catches and cooks overflow.
- Non-Stick Surface: Premium PFOA-free nonstick prevents waffles from sticking.
- Darkness Control Dial: 7 Darkness settings allow you to customize your waffle color from light to dark.
- Thermal Pro Even Heat: Thermally engineered heating elements ensure even heat distribution.
- Construction Materials: Stainless Steel Housing and Die-Cast Aluminum Cooking Plates
Breville boasts one of the most high end kitchen appliance lines around today. Their waffle makers are pretty much second to none and can be put up against anyone in the business.
They don’t disappoint with the Breville No Mess Thin Waffle Maker.
This is a non-Belgian waffle maker that will make round classic, crispy waffles for years to come.
Its dimensions are 11 x 9 x 5.75 inches and weighs just under 7 pounds.
It’s on the studier and heavier side for waffle makers, but it also feels sturdy, and its weight will also make it stay still as you open and close the lid.
Its stainless steel looks good and makes it durable.
This waffle maker has baking plates that are made from nonstick die-cast aluminum and makes 6.5 inches round, thin waffles. This special nonstick surface ensures even heat distribution at all browning levels, and therefore, with no sticky spots, will make it easy to clean.
The adjustable temperature control means that you can customize your waffle to your preferred taste. There are seven of these settings within the control dial. Go from totally crispy waffles in the first batch to crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside in the second.
This waffle maker has a wrap around moat design will make it so that excess batter doesn’t overflow onto your countertop.
It has two indicator lights. The first indicator light lets you know the power is on, and the second of the indicator lights let you know when the waffle maker it’s time to make some thin waffles!
- Wrap around moat ensures easy cleanup
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Brushed stainless steel housing
- Die cast aluminum non-stick surface
- 7 adjustable browning controls
- 2 indicator lights
- Easy storage
- 1 year warranty
- Audible alert is soft and difficult to hear when waffles are ready
- Waffle Maker is on the pricey side
- Large appliance that requires a significant amount of counter space
Read our in depth review of the Breville No Mess Thin Waffle Maker.
All-Clad Stainless Steel Classic Waffle Maker
This is a difficult decision, however, we’ve selected the All-Clad Stainless steel waffle maker as our top choice here.
This is one of the best waffle makers (non Belgian) on the market and can make you one round classic thin golden brown waffle in no time at all.
It’s temperature controls will save you time and ensures uniform texture and even baking, not to mention a great waffle!
Not only does it make perfect waffles, but it looks great on a kitchen counter and the product will last you for years to come. Buying it, despite the cost, is a no brainer!
Thin Waffle Maker Buyer’s Guide
What type of waffle do you prefer?
This is completely personal preference. I personally prefer Belgian waffle makers because I prefer Belgian waffles.
Still, I know many people who prefer a Waffle House type of waffle maker that makes a round classic waffle, which is a thin waffle.
Easy to clean
All of the waffle makers mentioned here have nonstick surfaces, which helps with cleaning. However, go a step above if you can and get one that has a drip tray that catches excess batter.
Again, this is personal preference. My favorite waffle maker doesn’t even have temperature control. However, many of the waffle irons mentioned here do.
Price and Budget
You’ll want to find a thin waffle maker that fits within your budget, no matter what that is. I’ll just caution you to think long term about your budget. The last thing you’ll want to do is to buy a budget model and then get frustrated that the unit doesn’t have the options you really wanted.
How many waffles does it make?
Are you baking for yourself or for your family? You might need a waffle maker that can make 2 or more waffles at a time. There are plenty of Classic round waffle makers that can easily take that on.
What is the best waffle maker?
The answer to this question depends on your personal preferences and needs, if you need to make large quantities of waffles then the best one for you will be one with a large capacity compared to one that can only make one thin waffle every 5 minutes.
Also if you are perfectionist then it will be highly recommended to get a waffle machine that has browning controls and also a timer with either an alarm or flash indicator so you can always be able to make the perfect thin waffle based on what you like.
What is the best Belgian Waffle Maker?
- Professional-style rotating design with extra-thick grid bakes a 7-inch diameter Belgian waffle with four...
- Dual function base assures convenient rotation for baking and locks in a space-saving vertical position for storage
- Countdown timer with digital display signals when time is complete; Brushed stainless steel exterior;
- Nonstick interior easily wipes clean. Care and Cleaning: Hand wash ; 120 Volts AC, 1100 Watts
- Flips 180 degrees to evenly spread batter for waffles that are crispy outside and tender inside. Refer the User...
In our opinion, the Best Belgian Waffle Maker is the Presto FlipSde Belgian Waffle Maer with Ceramic plates.
The biggest pro here is the ceramic interior. This means that not only is it easy to clean, but there’s no reason to ever oil or season this waffle maker. In addition to that, there are many people who prefer to not eat from Teflon interiors and prefer ceramic as a more natural alternative.
This is the Belgian waffle maker that I personally use for my family almost every weekend. And every time I use it, I value it more and more.
It makes perfect Belgian waffles, one waffle at a time, and aside from wiping it down with a damp cloth, it requires no other cleaning or maintenance.
The only con here is the on/off switch. This Presto Belgian Waffle maker doesn’t have one! You have to manually disconnect the power cord from the outlet, which is annoying, but it’s not a dealbreaker.
I guarantee that you’ll LOVE this Belgian waffle maker. I’ve personally baked hundreds of waffles through it and it never fails. Although the plates are not removable, it’s super easy to clean and it’s flip feature will cook you a perfect waffle for breakfast every time.
You can read our in depth review here.
Are flip waffle makers better?
Flip waffle makers can be better in situations where you have not put in the right amount of waffle batter and you need to make sure that the liquid is easily spread around so it can fill up the waffle form. But if you fill up your standard thin waffle maker properly then you should have no problems and need to use a flip waffle maker.
What are thin waffles called?
In the United States, other English speaking countries, as well as other countries that use the English phrase, waffles of this type, are either called thin waffles, regular waffles and also American style waffles majority of the time.
What waffle shapes are available?
Waffle makers come in all shapes and sizes. Some waffle makers will bake one waffle at a time, some will do two, and some will do four waffles.
Typically, Belgian style waffle makers will do one or two at a time. A classic waffle maker will probably do one at a time if the waffle is round or 2 or 4 at a time if they’re square waffles.
There are also mini waffle makers, heart-shaped waffles, Texas-shaped ones, character waffle makers, and of course, Belgian waffles and thin waffles.
What is the most versatile best thin waffle maker?
The George Foreman Evolve grill is by far the most versatile best thin waffle maker on the market today. Not only does it have ceramic grilling plates, but it allows you to go from baking a classic waffle one minute to grilling burgers the next. Best of all, it comes with a three year warranty.
Wrapping up with the Best Thin Waffle Maker
Wrapping up, thin waffle makers make classic American style waffles.
Every top of the line waffle maker mentioned here is a high quality kitchen appliance that will make thin waffles without hassle, every time. Some will make one waffle at a time, some will make two waffles at a time.
It all depends on what you’re looking for and what your budget is.